Instructions for Commencement Day
Sunday, August 5, 2019
1. Arrive on campus by 1:00 PM. Bring your line assignment with you.
2. Parking is available at no charge. Graduates are encouraged to park in the Fawcett Center lot on Olentangy River Road, the St. John Arena lot on Lane Avennue, the north and south French Field House lots, the Vivian lot, the Agricultural Administration lot, and the North Riverbank lot. Parking is also available in the lots north of Borror Drive. Shuttle buses will run between the "Buckeye" lots just south of Ackerman Road and the northeast rotunda of the Schottenstein Center.
Disability parking is available in lots directly adjacent to the Schottenstein Center on a first-come, first-served basis. A permanent or temporary Ohio or other state-issued Disability Placard is required. Additional disability parking is available in the "Buckeye" lots where lift-equipped shuttles run to the Schottenstein Center.
3. Assemble promptly by 1:15 PM in the assembly location in academic costume and line up as you did at rehearsal. Only graduates are permitted in the Auxiliary Gym. As you enter, you will be given a copy of the commencement program that lists your name in proper sequence. One copy is provided for each graduate. Do not leave any personal belongings in the Auxiliary Gym.
4. Dress appropriately for the day and the occasion. Weather in Columbus can be unpredictable, so please be aware of the forecast and plan to dress comfortably under your academic regalia.
5. Be mindful of your footwear. All graduate processional routes require the use of stairs and walking for some distance. We recommend that you choose comfortable footwear, and discourage shoes with high or narrow heels, tall platforms or wedges.
6. Wear the tassel on the left side of your cap.
7. Allow extra time if you have guests that need to be escorted to a seat. The Jerome Schottenstein Center provides easy access for guests with permanent or temporary disabilities. Seating for those guests is located throughout the arena. Guests in a wheelchair, or having limited mobility, and one companion, are permitted in these areas. Click on the Disability Accommodations link for family and guests for further information.
An American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter will be present during the ceremony. Seating for guests requiring an ASL interpreter will be located in section 121. Due to space limitations, we again ask that only one person be seated with the guest requiring ASL interpretation. Click on the Disability Accommodations link for family and guests for further information.Click here to view seating chart.
8. Advise your guests that photographs must be taken from the stands. Only press photographers are permitted on the arena floor. Guests should be courteous and respectful of all those wishing to take photographs.
A professional photographer will take a photograph of each graduate as diplomas are awarded. A complimentary photo will be mailed to the graduate within one month after graduation. You are not obligated to order photographs; this is merely a service.
All information is subject to change. We recommend checking back periodically for updates.