Instructions for Commencement Day
Sunday, May 5, 2019
1. Arrive on campus by 10:30 AM. Bring your line assignment with you.
2. Graduates assembling in French Field House should park in any of the permit zones around St. John Arena and the French Field House. Graduates assembling in the RPAC should use the Neil Avenue Garage. Additional parking is available at the Schottenstein Center or on West Campus. Click here for the class assembly locations. Parking locations are open to you and your guests on commencement day on a first-come, first-served basis. No Ohio State parking permit is required. The Arps, Ohio Union, Lane Avenue and Neil Avenue parking garages will be available at no charge.
Shuttle buses will run from West Campus parking lots to the Sisson Hall footbridge beginning at 9:00 AM until one hour after the ceremony concludes.
Disability parking is located in the East Stadium lot on a first-come, first-served basis. A permanent or temporary Ohio or other state-issued Disability Placard is required. Enter the East Stadium lot from Tuttle Park Place. Please plan to arrive early as reserved parking is not guaranteed.
3. Assemble promptly by 11:15 AM in the assembly locations in academic costume and line up as you did at rehearsal. Only graduates are permitted in these areas. As you enter, you will be given a copy of the commencement program that lists your name in proper sequence. One copy is provided for each graduate. Do not leave any personal belongings in the assembly locations.
4. Dress appropriately for the day and the occasion. Weather in Columbus can be unpredictable, so please be aware of the forecast and plan to dress comfortably under your academic regalia.
5. Be mindful of your footwear. All graduate processional routes into the stands of Ohio Stadium require the use of stairs and walking distances of up to half a mile. We recommend that you choose comfortable footwear, and discourage shoes with high or narrow heels, tall platforms or wedges.
6. Wear the tassel on the left side of your cap.
7. Allow extra time if you have guests that need to be escorted to a seat. Ohio Stadium provides easy access for guests with permanent or temporary disabilities. Seating for those guests is located at entry level and throughout the stadium. Guests in a wheelchair, or having limited mobility, and one companion, are permitted in these areas. Click on the Disability Accommodations link for family and guests for further information.
An American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter will be present during the ceremony. Click on the Disability Accommodations link for family and guests for further information.
Live captioning of the ceremony will also be available on the south stadium scoreboard of Ohio Stadium.
Click here to view Ohio Stadium facilities diagrams.
8. Advise your guests that photographs must be taken from the stands. Only press photographers are permitted on the field. Guests should be courteous and respectful of all those wishing to take photographs.
A professional photographer will take a photograph of each graduate as diplomas are awarded. A complimentary photo will be mailed to the graduate within one month after graduation. You are not obligated to order photographs; this is merely a service.
All information is subject to change. We recommend checking back periodically for updates.